Aftermath of the college entrance exam



Article: Mothers of high school seniors... "Breaks my heart seeing my daughter cry every day"

Source: News 1 via Naver

Highlights from the article:

- Parents of students unanimously agree, "We need to teach our students that failing the test does not mean they've failed their lives"

- "It breaks my heart seeing my daughter cry every day. For a year, she's only been sleeping 4~5 hours a night and studying on a set schedule but her grades weren't as good as she had hoped. She's nervous about not getting into her college and crying every day."

- Upon hearing that her daughter had made a few mistakes on a subject meant to be easy, "I'm honestly upset since we made a set of notes together on problems she got wrong and spent a lot of time on the subject. It's the mother who's been watching their kid suffer by their side this whole time, isn't it?"

- Some parents visit several seminars on the college entrance exams. "Information is the most important thing when planning for college entrance. I figured attending seminars would help more than browsing the internet."

- "It frustrated me to know that a friend who lives in Gangnam was providing her kids with tutoring that cost $3,500 per subject. It doesn't seem right." / "There are a lot of after school academies in Seoul but it's not the case in the suburbs. I feel sorry that I'm not able to provide for my kids what other cans." / "It costs a lot of money to take practice tests but the money's nothing when my kid is working towards his dream. I see on the news of kids in Seoul taking special lessons and it breaks my heart seeing my own kid having to study on his own."

- On her own student having to retake the exam next year, "There were many days where she had to go to the emergency room from severe stress. She's so sensitive to it so it makes me worried knowing that she has to endure another year of that. She wants to retake it but it's hard for me to accept it."

- "There's a saying in our country that if your kid is a test taker, the parents are too."

- "The minute our kids enter high school, they're put under extreme pressure that eats away at their self esteem. It's important that they don't feel that way in their home environment. It's important that we show them that there are things to do in society that doesn't require college and that failing to get into college doesn't mean you've failed life."

-

1. [+12,154, -1,423] Their kids will have a lot more to cry about in the future anyway

2. [+10,382, -1,020] This article is just showing what a mess our education system is

3. [+8,193, -285] Find strength, kids. This is only the beginning.

4. [+6,123, -302] Kids, find strength! Everything will be fine.

5. [+6,907, -3,054] Let's abolish the college entrance exam. It's killing our kids.

6. [+978, -52] As someone who's lived life longer than you, let me give you a word of advice. It's not over just because you got into college. College is a step, not a destination.

7. [+908, -22] Hypocritical when it's the same people who taught our kids that failing the exam means failing their life ㅡㅡ

8. [+742, -18] Getting into a good college isn't the end all. That's when the real hardship begins. Parents need to help their kids be independent.

9. [+356, -14] Why must the exam decide the course of life...

10. [+341, -62] These students are weak ㅋㅋㅋ Sure getting into college is hard but getting a job is just as hell ㅋㅋㅋ

11. [+246, -26] Makes me feel lucky to have a son who literally failed every subject of his exam and while I was worried about his self esteem, I watched him download Fifa and play all the games he's missed and go hang out with his friends and sing at karaokes ㅎㅎㅎㅎ

-