A picture has been circulating online of a couple of celebrity soldiers taking a break while dressed out of uniform and carrying around luxury bags as well as accessorized in sunglasses, playing on their cellphones while smoking, etc, adding to the fire that is the current army scandal with its perks.
Although their faces were blurred out, a few were able to track down non-censored photos and identified them as Outsider, Jung Kyung Ho, and Kim Hye Sung.
Once the controversy over the picture got out of hand, the agency of one of the celebrities in question clarified that the event they were performing for had asked that they wear suits, which explains the bags and the accessories. But, while on their way there, it had also been really hot while they were out taking their break so they were granted permission to dress out of their uniforms and into comfier clothing, which is when they were caught on camera. As for their cellphones, a guide did not follow them to the trip so they were also granted cellphone usage for communication. They concluded the explanation with an apology for the misunderstanding.
Article: 'non-uniform controversy' Celebrity soldier perks? "Misunderstanding... We'll pay more attention... We apologize"
Source: Star News via Nate
1. [+687, -14] "It had also been really hot while they were out taking their break so they were granted permission to dress out of their uniforms and into comfier clothing" This is not called a misunderstanding but a perk and a privilege
2. [+605, -13] Do they really call this an explanation? They were allowed to dress out of uniform purely because it was too hot? I'm pretty sure dressing in and out of clothes would've been even hotter! Why are non-celebrities required to stay in uniforms? Why can't we just get rid of celebrity soldiers all together? How can any active duty soldier serve knowing that all of these perks are not being granted to them?
3. [+519, -12] They call it a misunderstanding~~ㅋㅋㅋㅋ If they're really apologetic, they should go back and serve again
Article: Military responds to celebrity soldiers spotted out of uniform "It is possible to wear normal clothing if granted permission"
Source: Star News via Nate
1. [+425, -9] If the military can grant permission for anything they want, then they can grant any celebrity exemption from service. We're asking why these permissions were given, don't give us an answer we already know you fu*kers
2. [+340, -12] Fu*k, they're just evading all of the questions now aren't they ㅋ The majority of the country believes this to be a very real issue and they need to be revising these regulations.
3. [+301, -11] The military is just digging themselves a deeper hole the more they come out with statements. There are so many soldiers that work through unjust services - a normal service would be a dream to them.
Article: The reality of celebrity soldiers controversy 'personal items to even smoking?'
Source: Hanguk Ilbo via Nate
1. [+97, -2] Any active duty soldier granted permission for personal items are only allowed soap or cleansing foam, and even then, they get taken and thrown away if they get caught. Luxury bags?? Cellphones?? You go straight to the guardhouse if you're caught with any of those. And the purpose of these celebrity soldiers is to perform and raise your morale but I never saw one such performance during my two years of service.
2. [+95, -2] A Louis Vuitton in the army... What the f*k is going on?
3. [+94, -2] Fu*k when I was a sergeant, they cut my vacation day because I wore a personal underwear ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ